Maybe it’s the time of year – but after another downtime I finally started a new project. In the meantime I did some freelance work for Unity assets besides some other projects (and my day-job). Unity is a nice thing, but its also very complex to maintain for a single person (and team-work is not my strength TBH). Im now back into web-programming and started a new project from scratch. Some of you might remember my past attempts to create some kind of a “game engine” based on web technologies (I had a project named “d13” on sourceforge for a while). The new CGE (Casual Game Engine) project is quite similar to it, with several crucial differences:
- CGE is completely written from scratch, without any old code ticking in the background.
- CGE was designed with a plan in mind, finally utilizing a design document with all the details.
- CGE is NOT open-source for various reasons
- CGE is suited for one specific type of game only: RPG/Turn-Based Strategy hybrids with collectible aspects.
- CGE is NOT a full fledged editor, it merely allows to edit about any parameter.
- CGE is a WebApp. Therefore it’s not a downloadable client, but it’s more than a simple website.
- CGE is geared towards casual games with short 5-15 minute gameplay intervals.
Thats all for now. I plan a series of blog-posts that will act as a feature show-off once the project is developed a bit more. The whole core system is already finished, but vital parts (like gameplay and content) are still missing. Please be patient!